The Randstad Region represents the interests of the provinces of Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Utrecht and Flevoland. With a population of 7,100,000 it is one of the largest conurbations in Europe and covers an area of approximately 8,287 km².
It contains the largest European seaport in Rotterdam and one of the largest European airports (Schiphol) near Amsterdam.
The Randstad’s main cities are Almere, Amersfoort, Amsterdam, Delft, Dordrecht, Gouda, Haarlem, Leiden, Rotterdam, The Hague (Den Haag in Dutch), Utrecht, and Zoetermeer.
Randstad in figure:
GDP 235.6 M€
GDP per capita 35.000 €
Population 7.1 M
Area 8,287 km2
Density 1,500 P/km2
What about quality of air?
Some features influencing Air Quality inRandstad:
- Randstad is an industrial and metropolitan conurbation and it’s one of the most important economic and densely populated areas in the northwest of Europe, counting the major Dutch industrial cities. Therefore, there are high emissions and noise levels owing to traffic (e.g. vehicles, ships and agriculture, and contaminated fuel).
- The Randstad Region is characterised by continuous interaction between urban conglomerations and their rural environs. The regions form a ring of four large urban agglomerations (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht), as well as a number of medium-sized and smaller towns, such Almere, Delft, Leiden and Haarlem. These closely linked agglomerations are situated around the green heart of Holland; a green area, which provides the region not only healthy fresh air but also, room for agricultural activity and for rest and recreation. For this reason, Randstad continues to draw special attention to the opportunities and vitality of the countryside in urban environments, the peri-urban areas.
Air quality policy in Randstad:
- In the Randstad, the regional and local air strategies are now included in the National Air Strategy. Total regional and national investments for improving air quality are estimated at 2 bilion euro.
- 341 projects and measures aimed at targeting different solutions, including: bio-methane gas and electricity filling stations; clean fuels for public transport; improving the bicycle infrastructure; changing behaviour by communication campaigns and school education; promoting teleworking and green driving.
- Randstad is also addressing diesel emissions from ships by providing clean eletric power from the shore and promoting cleaner engines for ships.
For all the information look up the Randstad official website : nl-prov.eu
Discover more about the AIR group